LiV Pi Orangepi Edition

AlfredC
LiV Pi for Orange Pi vs. LiV Pi for Raspberry Pi
Pros: better performance/price ratio in favour of OrangePi
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepipcplus/
Cons: smaller Orangepi and ArmbianOS community, limited support on their forums.

Is this for me?
If you don't plan to do any development work or you plan to do application level development (e.g. Python) you should be OK with the Orangepi Edition. If you plan to dig in and work at lower levels, you should be comfortable compiling your own custom OS images. We suggest you should keep using ArmbianOS which so far worked very well for us. If you are not sure what you want to do, forget about all this Orangepi stuff and stick with LiV Pi for Raspberry Pi.

Your product appears ready. Why a Kickstarter campaign?
Yes, Liv Pi Orangepi Edition is ready to ship. We are running a crowdfunding campaign to reach a larger audience. We will be offering a limited number of devices in this campaign. When campaign ends, you can order LiV Pi Orangepi Edition in our own stores.

Are you going to offer kits and assembled board?
No, not at this time. Due to the limited support on Orangepi and ArmbianOS, LiV Pi Orange Pi Edition is offered only as a fully assembled device, preconfigured with ArmbianOS and ready to use.

Are there any differences between Raspberry Pi editions and Orangepi Edition in terms of setting up the device?
No, there aren’t.

How stable is the Orangepi/ArmbianOS edition?
Stable enough for us to replace Raspberry Pi with Orangepi in our LiV Pi business line.

Are there any future enhancements planned for the Orangepi Edition?
There are a few things that we will be working on in the next software release such as:
1) Provide a script that will allow users to write the image from the SD card into EMMC, so the device can also boot from flash.
2) Currently LiV software reads measurements out of DHT sensor using open source Adafruit_Python_DHT code. In order for this to work on Orangepi, we replaced all low level C calls to DHT22 with the appropriate calls from Orangepi_PC_gpio_PyH3 open source library. Currently, the GPIO value is hardcoded, so we are reading pin 17 (back DHT connector on sensor board.) GPIO mapping for Orangepi is different then Raspberry Pi btw. If you plan to access orange GPIOs from Python, you will need modify the code with your own GPIO desired pin no, then reinstall Adafruit DHT Python module which will recompile the C code. This ain’t pretty but it works. If no-one else does it in the near future, we will probably fork the Adafruit code and provide support for orangepi in a cleaner way. If you currently want to access GPIO pins using C, you can do so using the orangepi_PC_gpio_PyH3 lib. Just mind the different GPIO pinout on the header. For us, at this time work item 1) has higher priority than item 2).